Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Buffalo-Style Poutine

Poutine...the final product
One of my fondest memories of going to college at Montclair State University in New Jersey was stopping at the Six Brothers Diner in Little Falls after a party or a night at the bars. One of the items that we always ordered were Disco Fries....steak fries smothered in beef gravy and mozzarella cheese. Up until going gluten-free, I occasionally tried to order Disco Fries at our local diners here on Staten Island - they never made it like Six Brothers, though. On our honeymoon in Quebec (Mont Tremblant to be exact), we were introduced to the French-Canadian version of Disco Fries...poutine. Poutine is fries smothered in chicken/turkey gravy with cheese curds. Different, but very similar. We ordered poutine based on a suggestion by one of our waiters when we asked for "traditional" Canadian/French-Canadian food. (We were also told to eat at Tim Hortons - which is now open in New York City - for authentic Canadian food.)

When I was shopping at Wegmans in New Jersey for our provisions for the fourth of July, I came across these cheese curds from Yancey's Fancy....so I bought them. They did have a variety of flavors, but the buffalo cheddar called my name. (This was probably because I had a craving for Ant's Buffalo Wings)

Yancey's Fancy Buffalo Wing Cheddar Cheese Curds for poutine

When I brought our food home from Wegmans, Ant questioned why I would buy cheese curds. I told him that I thought that these may be fun to snack on. Then he reminded me that the one and only time that we've had cheese curds was when we had poutine....

At that point I knew, I had to make poutine or disco fries or a hybrid of both.

Buffalo-Style Poutine

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag of frozen steak fries (Our mandolin broke, and I didn't have the time to cut up fresh potatoes)
  • 1 container of cheese curds
  • 2 cups of beef stock
  • 1/4 cup of sweet rice flour (if not GF, use all purpose)
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • shredded mozzarella
  • salt
  • pepper
  • blue cheese dressing

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Make fries according to instructions on the bag. If you are making fries from scratch, this is a great instructional video from Bon Appetit.
  3. Place the cooked fries in an oven safe dish and season to taste;
  4. Mix the container of cheese curds with the fries;
Curds & Fries for Poutine

5. Now, it's time to make the roux - melt the butter in a pan at medium-low heat;

6. Once the butter has melted, slowly mix in the flour with a wooden spoon until it becomes thick, paste-like;

7. Keep stirring the roux. The roux is ready to use when it becomes a light brown color. The darker the roux, the more flavorful it becomes. Once the roux reaches a burgundy color, the roux is burnt;

8. Once you get your roux to your desired color/flavor, slowly wisk in your beef stock

Gravy for Poutine
9. While wisking, lower the heat to a simmer until all of the roux has been absorbed;
10. Season gravy to taste;
11. Pour gravy over steak fries and curds;
12. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and place in the oven till all cheese has melted;
13. Serve with blue cheese dressing as a dip!

post signature

4 comments:

Laura said...

Awesome recipe! I went to college in upstate NY and being so close to Canada, poutine and Tim Horton's were definately part of experience. Good stuff :)

Chef E said...

Nice recipe! I would like to try this sometime...

Lord of the Wings said...

As a Canadian, a poutine lover, and mostly a wing lover, this is simply awesome!

I have never seen Buffalo cheese curds up here, and I was ok with that, because I never knew they existed. Now, I feel so deprived.

Thanks for this awesome dish. I'm inspired now!

Made @ Home said...

Yancey's Fancy Cheese(Buffalo wing cheese curds)is in (Pembroke) NY, on the NY thruway, exit 48A I think. The Pembroke exit, roughly a 45 minute drive from Niagara Falls, ON. They have all kinds of cheese curds, like Hot Pepper, Buffalo Wing, Chive,Roasted Garlic, and regular. There are lots of possible combinations here, plus they always have free samples out to try. Here's their website. http://www.yanceysfancy.com/