Sunday, January 4, 2009

Split Pea Soup

This is the second time over Christmas vacation I made Split Pea Soup. For Christmas dinner, we had ham, so I saved the ham bone and some ham for soup. On NYE, I decided to make the soup, but ran into a problem. I scalded my hand on the soup. In my pain-fogged brain, I forgot that I put a herb satchel in the soup - and pulverized it with my sexy new immersion blender. When my better half went to eat it, he said "This soup would taste better if I didn't have to pick cheesecloth out of my teeth." He had a good point. Randomly enough, my in-laws opted to have ham for New Years Day dinner, so I claimed the leftovers and ham bone to try again. One of the more interesting things is that I don't like ham or split pea soup.

I based my recipe on a recipe from Elise @ Simply Recipes. And she based her recipe on a Julia Child recipe from Parade Magazine, which is based on a traditional recipe from Julia Child's book The Way to Cook.

Split Pea Soup
adapted from Simply Recipes

Ingredients

  • 2 cups green split peas
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 large leek, chopped
  • 1 large clove of garlic, halved
  • 1 herb bouquet (tie 3 cracked cloves of garlic, 4 to 5 allspice berries, 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of thyme, a bunch of Italian flat leafed parsley in a washed cheesecloth)
  • 1 well-rinsed ham hocks
  • Cooked ham, in chunks
  • 2 1/2 to 3 quarts of chicken stock - we use Pacific Organic Chicken Stock
  • Salt and Pepper

Directions

  1. Pick over the peas and remove any stones. Wash and drain peas. Place in a 4 quart pan with the vegetables, herb bouquet, ham hocks and 2 1/2 quarts of chicken stock. Make sure to tie the herb bouquet to the side of your pan - in case you scald yourself...lol
  2. If you want a thin soup, add 1/2 quart more of chicken stock;
  3. Bring to a simmer. Skim the scum off the top of the soup for several minutes, until the scum ceases to rise. Cover loosely and simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally in case they stick to the bottom of the pan.
  4. Take the soup off heat;
  5. Remove bones, and herb bouquet from soup, discard. Make sure all bones are removed;
  6. Using your immersion blender (or food processor) puree soup.
  7. Correct seasoning.
  8. At this point, add in chunks of ham from the bone or leftovers;
  9. Reheat, taste again for seasoning.
  10. Serve warm

Hubby loved it and had me freeze the leftovers for later.

post signature

1 comments:

Brooke said...

You had me until the cheese cloth! I'll be sure to try your recipe and be very careful in the process of making it!