Saturday, January 31, 2009

Restaurant Review: Citrus Bar & Grill

This past Monday, I had to attend a dinner meeting in Manhattan for work. I try my best never to go to luncheons or dinners unless I know the restaurant or the host has conveyed my dietary issue. Well, I didn't know the restaurant and found out that our host wasn't informed of my dietary restrictions. And I was going to an Asian-Latin Fusion restaurant.

On my way into the city, I stopped off and picked up some Immodium and Benadryl for my emergency supply kit. (I also picked up some Pepsi and Fritos for the road). Once in the city, I parked my car, ran into Fairway, and picked up this:

I usually keep both LaChoy Soy Sauce and San-J's Organic Wheat-Free Tamari in the house. And I forgot to bring it in. I prefer LaChoy, but when I realized I was on the UWS, I felt that LaChoy would be too "pedestrian" for this area - so San-J it was!

We were seated and I spoke to my host about my dietary issue. He pulled our waiter aside and told him I couldn't eat wheat. The waiter popped over to me and asked if I was gluten-free. I responded yes. He told me that he was a Celiac and he'll make sure I can eat. How awesome is that????

We had a prix fixe menu with three choices for a starter, three choices for our entree, and a dessert tray. With our waiter's recommendation, I had the Spicy Tuna Roll as my starter. It was a brown rice roll filled with tuna, radish sprouts, cucumber, and chipolte. The waiter even offered his stash of gf soy sauce! When it was being served, I had a different colored plate and our waiter served me while servers served the others. (My fellow guests thought it was odd that I carry my own soy sauce with me, though) And, even though, I am not a sushi person, I loved it.

For dinner, I also went with our waiter's recommendation of Pomegranate-Ancho Chile Glazed Salmon with wasabi infused cauliflower-potato mash and agave glazed carrots and zucchini. I haven't had salmon in quite a while and I did like the fact that it was hand farmed and also hormone & antibiotic free. The best part of the dish? The wasabi-infused cauliflower-potato mash. I could eat that for days! The waiter offered to bring me something different for dessert since we had mixed dessert trays with gluten-y goods on them. I was stuffed, so I declined.

This is one of the few times that I've felt comfortable and safe at a restaurant. I'd recommend Citrus to anyone.....

Citrus Bar & Grill

320 Amsterdam Avenue @ 75th Street

New York, New York 10023

(212) 595-0500

post signature

4 comments:

Rachel said...

It's awesome when you can just dine and relax like that. Thanks for the restaurant review.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I so need a road trip to NYC!! The gluten free dining options are so much better! Glad you enjoyed a tasty (and safe!) dinner :)

Stephanie in Idaho said...

Yet ANOTHER reason to share with anyone who will listen your dietary restrictions. You never know who 'knows somebody, or is somebody' that is GF. Whoohoo for you.

Hazel said...

Congratulations! this blog is very interesting and has information most important we invite you to visit our site. Prices will amaze you Great investment opportunity at Costa Rica Pacific Coast, costarica real estate ,retirement in costa rica, costa rica condominiums. Visit us for more info at: http://www.Costa-RicaRealEstate.com