Sunday, November 9, 2008

Product Review: Galbusera ZeroGrano Plus Con Gocce Di Cioccolato Senza Glutine

When I moved from Dirty Jersey to New York City, I settled into an Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn, Bensonhurst. You know the neighborhood, the one where Tony Manero lived and worked in Saturday Night Fever? Living there opened the door to the fantastic world of real Italian food (i.e. not Chicken Parm). I shopped in salumerias and the regular grocery stores that had an "Italian slant." My local grocery store, which was affiliated with a national chain, made its own cheeses and cured its own meats.

Then I met my husband, who is from a large Italian family. I'd be invited over for dinner of traditional peasant foods like potatoes and macaroni (yes, together). When we got married, we settled in Staten Island, which, for all intensive purposes is a large Italian/Irish neighborhood. All of the supermarkets and groceries carry Italian specialities - not counting salumerias. There are multiple places to purchase fresh macaroni (granted not gluten-free) and hundreds of pizzerias and Italian restaurants.

So, I wasn't surprised that I found these cookies at my local HFS - Family Health Foods. Even though the package was in Italian, I noticed the words "gluten free" on the importer's label. Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies imported from Italy made with corn starch, rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato starch. When I got home, I put them away and forgot about them until today.

I was in the mood for something chocolate for breakfast this morning. I popped these out of the pantry. When I opened the container, the cookies were already in packaged in individual portions of eight cookies each. The cookies reminded me a biscuits over traditional American-style chocolate chip cookies. And the taste? Heavenly. They reminded me of a thinner, Chips Ahoy. So, I had to have my husband hide them.


1 comments:

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

That's hysterical that you call New Jersey "Dirty Jersey". We say the same thing :) Oooh, I bet these cookies would be perfect mashed up as a pie crust. YUM!