Sunday, November 9, 2008

Frogmore Stew....a Low Country Boil


I was in the mood for stew today. I feel the nip in the New York City air and wanted something to warm my bones. But, I ended up making a stew, which by all means, was not a stew - but warmed me right up - Frogmore Stew.
While looking through cookbooks and blogs, I kept seeing mentions of seafood boils. It seems that from New England to Louisiana, each ocean area has its own seafood boil. Each boil centered around shellfish with a variety of sides. I settled on a South Carolina Low Country Boil...otherwise known as Frogmore Stew.
This boil took no time to make and was extremely hardy. Even though this is technically a summer dish - since you are supposed to dump out the contents on a newspaper covered picnic table, this is a dish we will make year around....
Frogmore Stew/SC Low Country Boil
Ingredients
  • 12 cups water
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 pound new red potatoes
  • 1 pound Kielbasa or another smoked sausage (we used a mix of Kielbasa and a chicken/turkey smoked sausage)
  • 6 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered
  • 2 pounds large fresh shrimp, unpeeled
  • 1 medium onion, quartered
  • 1/2 head of garlic, minced
  • 1 bottle of beer (we used Redbridge)
Directions
  1. Bring water, onions, garlic, and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.
  2. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Add sausage and beer. Cook for 5 minutes more.
  4. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
  5. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink.
  6. Drain immediately and serve with butter, ketchup, and sour cream.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

Congrats on being featured on Foodie Blogroll today.

Chef E said...

I love it when people mention history of the food, or original locals and origins. I might have to cook some corn, cause yours looks so inviting!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the link on your blogroll! I've added you to mine too, great blog! :)

Jenny said...

Hey, just saw your comment about the bagels. Yes, I put the bagel in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then put it in the toaster oven. I prefer my bread toasted dark so that pic shows it exactly the way I like it!

Dragonlife said...

Dear Kerrie!
Gretings!
Thank you so much for your kind comment!
It seems that pizza of mine have made a few friends happy!
All the more I should all thank you all!
I'll see if I can post more of this kind!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles