- 1 spaghetti squash (about 1 1/2 lb)
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed plum tomatoes
- 14 oz of water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of red wine (we used merlot)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 12 leaves of basil
- 1/4 lb of panchetta, cubed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees;
- Slice spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise.
- Drizzle cut side with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place squash, cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until squash is tender when pierced with a fork (35min-1hr, depending on squash size);
- While squash is cooking, saute onions and panchetta together in olive oil for 5 minutes;
- Throw in garlic for and saute together for about 2 minutes;
- Add the wine,water, tomatoes and tomato paste to the mixture;
- Next add, the seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Lower heat if sauce begins to boil;
- Remove squash from oven and scrape crosswise to pull strands from shell;
- Pour sauce over squash and serve - we added ricotta salata for some extra flavor on the top.
This is now part of our recipe rotation. We also love the sauce on it's own - we saved the extra sauce to use for a different meal later this week. Our goal is just to make the sauce and jar it for meals later on this year.....