Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread


A few months ago, I made Karina's Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. Our family loved it. I have made it many times since. But since my son keeps eating all the bananas before I get to use them, I had to change up the dessert.

Since it is Autumn, I opted to try subbing pumpkin for the banana. And, like the original, my family loved it. If I had either on hand, I would have put a caramel or butterscotch glaze over the finished bread. Yummy.

One thing to note, I use a mix of both xantham and guar gums. I'm a fan of using both of them instead of just one or the other. If you want to start using guar gum, introduce it slowly and not when your GI tract is in flux. Guar gum is quite "fiberous."

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

Ingredients:

  • 2 2/3 cups of pureed pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup of light olive oil
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar (I used Spenda Brown Sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups of gf flour mix (I used Bette Hagman's GF Mix)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of arrowroot starch
  • 1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon of guar gum
  • 1 rounded teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 rounded teaspoon of nutmeg
  • (If I had cloves, I would have added a rounded teaspoon of ground cloves)
  • 1/2 cup of mini-chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F;
  2. Lightly oil the bottom of a standard bread loaf pan and dust with rice or corn flour;
  3. Combine in a large bowl the pumpkin, olive oil, light brown sugar, & vanilla extract;
  4. Whisk together in a separate bowl: gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, guar gum, cinnamon, and nutmeg (plus cloves if you have them);
  5. Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and stir until smooth.
  6. Add chocolate chips
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center of a preheated oven for an hour, until the loaf is firm, a bit crusty, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean.
  8. Cool the loaf on a wire rack.
  9. Slice and wrap each slice in foil; bag and freeze.
  10. Makes about 8 or so thick slices.

3 comments:

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Ooooh, this sounds delicious! I've never used guar gum, good to know about the "fiberous" part :)

PS - I am anxiously awaiting your post on homemade cider donuts (hint hint)

Kerrie aka GFShaolin said...

Because of you and Ginger, I'm making the cider doughnuts this weekend....well, doughnut holes....

Chef E said...

Another thing to add to my 'Foods2Try' list... and those bread slices look good.