Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October Daring Bakers Challenge: Pizza


Yes. I decided to join the Daring Bakers! I needed to be more focused on my baking, and this was the best way to do it. This month, the food was pizza. Who doesn't like pizza? This month, the challenge was hosted by Rosa, from Rosa's Yummy Yums and was adapted for us Gluten-free peeps by Natalia at Gluten-a-GoG0 from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Maker's Apprentice..

I went very traditional with the pizza - since as you know, my husband tossed pizza for about 10 years. (He made both New York and Chicago-Style Pizza in the pizzeria he worked in.) Just a simple tomato and cheese pie.

The recipe is forgiving. For gluten-free you could either use a flour blend that is premixed with Xanthan/Guar gum or use the recommended flour combo below. I used my "mystery freezer" mix. A few months ago, I was going to make bread - to be honest, I think a foccacia. I blended up flours, xanthan, and guar (since everyone knows I love using both of them together) according to the recipe. Once I blended the flours, I got distracted and didn't make the bread product. I stuck the mix in the freezer so I wouldn't waste it. Lo and behold, I lost the recipe and never labled what was in the flour blend. So, when I couldn't find Corn Flour at the HFS, I went to my freezer and popped out my "mystery freezer" mix. I think there is Brown Rice flour in it (since I got my first bag of Authentic Foods' Superfine Brown Rice flour around that time), but I'm not sure. The next time I make it, I'll probably use brown rice flour, sorghum, millet (or teff) and arrowroot with a tsp each of xantham and guar. I love the word guar. guar guar guar guar guar guar guar

Basic Pizza Dough

  • 4 ½ cups GF Flour Blend with xanthan/guar gum or 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup corn flour, 1 cup oat flour & 1 1/2 cup arrowroot starch with 2 tsp of xanthan/guar gum
  • 2 tbsp of flax seed meal
  • 2 tsp instant yeast
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 3/4 cups water, ice cold
  • 1 Tb sugar
  • Cornmeal flour for dusting

DAY ONE

1. Mix together the flour, salt and instant yeast in a big bowl.

2. Add the oil, sugar and cold water and mix well (with the help of a large wooden spoon) in order to form a sticky ball of dough. If the dough is too wet, add a little flour (not too much, though) and if it is too dry add 1 or 2 teaspoons extra water.

3. Flour a work surface or counter. Line a jelly pan with parchment paper. Lightly oil the paper.

4. With the help of a dough scraper, cut the dough into 6 equal pieces (or fewer pieces if you want to make larger pizzas).

5. Sprinkle some corn flour over the dough. Make sure your hands are dry and then flour them. Gently round each piece into a ball.

6. Transfer the dough balls to the lined jelly pan and mist them generously with oil. Slip the pan into a plastic bag or enclose in plastic food wrap.

7. Put the pan into the refrigerator and let the dough rest overnight or for up to three days.

DAY TWO

8. On the day you plan to eat pizza, exactly 2 hours before you make it, remove the number of desired dough balls from the refrigerator. Place on a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle with a gluten free flour. Delicately press the dough into disks about 1/2 inch/1.3 cm thick and 5 inches/12.7 cm in diameter. Sprinkle the dough with flour, mist it again with spray oil. Lightly cover the dough round with a sheet of parchment paper and allow to rest for 2 hours.

9. At least 45 minutes before making the pizza, place a baking stone on a shelf in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven at hot as possible (500 Degree F/260 Degrees C).

10. Press the dough into the shape you want (about 9 - 12 inches/23 - 30 cm in diameter - for a 6 ounces/180 g piece of dough).

11. Lightly top the dough with sweet or savory toppings of your choice.

12. Place the garnished pizza on the parchment paper onto the stone in the oven or bake directly on the jelly pan. Close the door and bake for about 5 - 8 minutes.

13. After baking 2 minutes, take a peek at the pizza. For more even baking, rotate the pizza 180 degrees.

14. Take the pizza out of the oven and transfer it to a cutting board or your plate. In order to allow the cheese to set a little, wait 3 - 5 minutes before slicing or serving.

And watch out, make sure you watch out for your little helper's fingers.....


9 comments:

jill elise said...

What a good month to start DB, huh? How did you like it made with that mix of flours? I just made it with rice flour mix and thought it was great. Yum!

Kerrie aka GFShaolin said...

Jill to be honest, I have no idea what mix I used! I made a mix for a recipe awhile ago (which I didn't make), and stored it in the freezer (and didn't label). So, I used the "mystery" mix. Next batch, I'll probably use a combo of brown rice with sorghum and millet....

HoneyB said...

Welcome to DB! Your little helper is adorable!

Veggie Wedgie said...

The flour mix you used sounds tasty!I noticed that you didn;t use any xanthan gum and I was wondering how did the dough rise?

Lynn said...

You helper is adorable. I am jealous. I often think that a traditional pizza is best. Yours looks great. Well done.

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB Challenge! GF too! Very nice looking pizza. :)

Lauren said...

Oooh, your pizza looks wonderful! Simple sounds just fine to me =D.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I'm drooling! This looks just like the Jersey Tomato Pie that I miss sooooo much since going GF. Did your hubby taste test? Just curious :) Your little one is adorable - love the pic!

Kerrie aka GFShaolin said...

Maureen-

Yeah, hubby ate the pizza - he actually kneaded and shaped the dough for me, too (hence the perfect looking pie). His goal is to make the perfect GF Pizza.

-Kerrie