Saturday, September 6, 2008

Armadillo Eggs


I've been seeing a lot of recipes around the blogosphere for what my family calls armadillo eggs. My father-in-law used to eat these all the time when he was stationed in Louisiana in the Army. I like this recipe because it involves bacon. Bacon rocks. Bacon makes the world go round. I pink puffy heart bacon.

They are pretty simple to make and everyone will just gobble them up at parties, for lunch, or just a plain ol' midnight snack. Granted hot peppers at midnight isn't for everyone, but, I digress.

Armadillo Eggs

Ingredients

  • Hot peppers - the this summer I made them the first time with Anaheim peppers (since that was the only ones I could find) and the second time with locally grown jalapenos (yummy Jersey Fresh)

  • Cream Cheese - this is where you can get wacky. You can use flavored cream cheese like veggie or chive or sun dried tomato - I wouldn't use strawberry. I just seasoned mine with fresh random herbs from the garden - basil, rosemary, thyme, and Italian parsley)

  • Bacon. Yummy bacon. I just use the regular Oscar Meyer.

Directions

  1. Using gloves (unless you want to be like me and forget you have hot pepper juice on your hands and rub your eyes), cut open the peppers and take out the seed & membranes. Remember, seeds and membranes hold the heat - so take out as much as you need to;
  2. Once they are sufficiently gutted, take your cream cheese and fill each pepper half. Be generous;
  3. Then wrap each filled pepper half with uncooked bacon. For the Anaheims, I used an entire slice and for the jalapenos I would use a half (I only used a third and it wasn't enough). Skewer the pepper with a toothpick,
  4. At this point, place the skewered pepper on a rack on a baking sheet in an oven @ 375 for 20 minutes. My husband recommends grilling them, while Maureen @ Hold the Gluten opened my eyes to deep frying them.
  5. Eat.

1 comments:

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I seriously think you are my long lost sister!! Even I can't give up the delicious bacon (and I've been a vegetarian for 12 years!). I love this recipe - great post! PS - I'll let you know how the deep-frying turns out.