Friday, August 22, 2008

The Simple Joys of Life

My son loves Elmo. I mean he really loves Elmo. He met Elmo once at a party - he was star struck. When he rides in my car, he always puts on his foam Elmo visor. In the picture above, he was nice enough to read an Elmo book, but generally he holds a golf club while we putt (no pun intended) around Staten Island. He loves golf, too. (I mean he loves golf...another story)

Yesterday, we took him to Strasburg Railroad in Lancaster County, PA. He was able to ride a real steam locomotive in Amish Country. He loved it. He wore his little engineer's hat and watched the farms roll by. He was in heaven. He's a fan of trains and farm animals.

This is the wee one at the New Jersey State Fair aka the Sussex County Farm and Horse Show. He wanted a sheep badly that day. If we stayed their any longer, we would have had a farm. Not that I'm complaining, though. Because I grew up in Jersey, I do know how to milk a cow and birth a sow (among other things)....but, I digress.


As school is starting next week, I know my son will remind me of the simple joys of life. When NCLB regulations, explaining to teens that getting pregnant isn't "cool", and being gluten-free gets me down, all I have to do is think of him and I'm happy again. Or I can just think of his dad (my better half - and yes, he is wearing my son's shirt on his head)

0 comments: