Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tamale Cake ala Whole Foods



I can honestly say I have never had a Tamale, let alone a Tamale Pie. Today, I was writing my weekly letter begging Whole Foods to come to the Shaolin and I surfed over to their recipe section. Lo and behold, one of their "4 under $15" recipes was labled gluten-free!!!! That means I had to try it. Tonite. We liked it. The next time we have it, we are going to add more buttermilk & butter, though. The cornbread was a little dry.

Whole Foods calls it a Tamale Casserole, I tinkered with it and call it a Tamale Cake (mainly because I can't find my casserole dish and used a cake pan)

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
  • 1 (15-ounce) can of light kidney beans
  • 1 jar medium salsa
  • 1 (12-ounce) box gluten-free corn bread and muffin mix (I used Gluten Free Pantry)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/3 cups low fat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
  • 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. In a large sauté pan, brown meat, breaking up any large pieces. Drain well and return to stove.
  3. Add beans and salsa, stir to combine and simmer over medium heat 5-7 minutes.
  4. Let cool slightly then spoon into a 9x12-inch cake pan.
  5. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions, using the remaining ingredients above.
  6. If desired, mix drained green chiles into batter.
  7. Carefully spoon over top of beef mixture. Smooth out to cover.


  8. Bake 15-20 minutes until cornbread is lightly brown and filling is bubbling.

1 comments:

Susanne said...

We had something that was similar to this once. However, it was reversed..The cornbread was cooked, and then the meat placed on top covered with shredded cheese. Not sure if that would help with the dryness or not. You could also put the green chilie juice in too.