I love my husband. He's an amazing man. One thing that I love about him is that he is an excellent cook. He rescued me from my Redbull & Ragu days. He learned how to cook at home, but also at work. He worked in both a pizzeria and a salumeria since he was 12. Since going gluten-free he has been frustrated in not knowing how to make a good gluten-free pizza. He made both New York & Chicago-style pizza all of his life and now had to switch gears and learn how to make gluten-free pizza. We bought mixes. We bought a new pizza tray. We tried recipes. We bought a new pizza stone. We threw away a ton of pizza.
Then I made the famous sandwich wrap. You know the one that Cindy on the Delphi Forums Celiac Boards made famous? You know the one that Kate @ Gluten-Free Gobsmacked perfected? Yes, that wrap.
I made it the other night. After I took it out of the oven, Ant tried it. He said it would be perfect for pizza. So, we made it last night.....
- 1 cup fine brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)
- Mix together all dry ingredients except sweet rice flour (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt).
- In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).
- Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients. Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.
- Oil the bottom of a pizza stone and lightly dust oiled stone with the sweet rice flour
- Scrap dough onto oiled/dusted stone and press as thinly as possible (fill pan)
- Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.
- Place dough in a warm spot, allow to rest/rise for 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Bake for 7 minutes
- Place your favorite toppings on the crust - we used sauce, cheese (shred your own), oregano, and basil
- Place back in the oven and bake until the cheese is nice and melty
- Take out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes
- Serve and enjoy!