Monday, April 21, 2008

The "What's in my Fridge" Frittata



This morning I had the sudden urge to attempt to make a frittata since I am off for Spring Break. Granted, until today, I really didn't know what a frittata was or have even seen one in person. So, I surfed the blogs to look at some GF recipes - and of course my eyes spied Karina, the Gluten-Free Goddess's Blue Corn Chip Frittata. So, I used her recipe as the basis for mine.
Before we go on, I want to remind everyone that I have never tasted or seen a frittata before today!!!!!
Ingredients:
  • Terra Stripes & Blues Chips - enough for one layer in an omelet pan
  • Tomato Salsa (I happened to have a jug of Tostados Salsa on hand)
  • A bag Four Cheese Mexican shredded cheese (I think it was Sargento or Kraft)
  • 7 large eggs
  • A few grape tomatoes, halved
  • Chopped green pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Lightly oil an oven proof 10-inch omelet pan.
  3. Layer the Stripes & Blues in the bottom of the prepared pan.
  4. Top each chip liberally with salsa.
  5. Sprinkle with most of the shredded cheese.
  6. Whisk the eggs till fluffy and season to taste
  7. Pour the mixture all over the chips.
  8. Sprinkle with the chopped green pepper (If I had any onion, I would have added it there)
  9. Finish with the rest of the cheese.
  10. Top with the halved tomatoes
  11. Bake in a hot oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and the frittata is golden.

Well, Karina's recipe served two. I didn't read it right and never put in cream, so I added more eggs. It was yummy. My husband, son, and I ate the fluffy goodness up. But because I put in sooooooo many eggs, we have leftovers. For the first time in the history of our home, we have leftovers from breakfast! If I have company, I would use this recipe as is....If it was just for the three of us, I'd make it in a 8" pan with less eggs. Eh, to live and learn.

1 comments:

Karina said...

Glad you liked the frittata!