Wednesday, April 23, 2008

And sometimes things really fail (pt.2)....


I really wanted corn tortillas with my beans. I've been reading so much about mexican food and that once you have homemade tortillas, you'll never go back. I dug out a copy of a Better Homes & Gardens corn tortilla recipe. And I failed. Really bad. You see I failed Spanish. Three times. I bought harina de maize not masa harina. Yeah. It took me until the next day to figure that out.

Well, here is Better Homes & Gardens recipe:
  • 2 cups of masa harina
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  1. In a medium bowl, combine masa harina and water. Stir in mixture together until dough is firm but moist (if necessary, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
  2. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions; shape each portion into a ball. Using a tortilla press or rolling pin, flatten each ball between two pieces of waxed paper into a 6" circle.
  3. Carefully peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Place tortilla, paper side up, on a medium-hot ungreased griddle or skillet. After about 20 seconds, carefully peel off remaining sheet of waxed paper. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until tortilla is dry and light brown. Wrap torillas in foil if using immediately. Makes 12 6" torillas.

Remember.....Masa Harina is not Harina de Maize

2 comments:

Sheltie Girl said...

That's the challenge of baking gf...sometimes you fail a lot and sometimes you succeed far beyond your wildest dreams. Other times, I simply set a recipe aside after failing 3 times and decide I'll try again another day after I've thought about it.

Have you bought your Masa Harina yet? I'd love to see how your tortillas turn out.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

Kerrie said...

I actually made them this week! None of my usual haunts carry Masa Harina - but I trekked out to Whole Foods in Jersey and got a bag. They came out awesome. I'll post it soon!