Monday, March 24, 2008

Yes! I made it.

When my husband I and were dating, he was both shocked and saddened at my lack of culinary skills. One of the first things he noticed was that my fridge consisted of only Red Bull, Beer, and Ragu. Since then, he has been the one in the kitchen. Until the diagnosis....

Since going gluten free, I started regarding the kitchen as my friend, not the place where my husband hangs out. On Friday, I baked myself a loaf of the Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread and some of Pamela's Chocolate Chunk Cookies in a bar pan (well, I don't have a bar pan, so I used an 8" layer cake pan). That night, I made Ginger Lemon Girl's Cafe Atlantico Baked Parmesan Flounder (post with our random changes coming soon). On Saturday, we made Stephanie's Crockpot Blue Cheese and Steak Rollups (again, post coming soon). To top it off, my husband found Bell and Evan's Gluten Free Chicken in the freezer aisle at King Kullen that night!!!!!

On Sunday, we had an awesome breakfast of smoothies consisting of random fruits from the freezer, orange juice, blueberry-pomegranate juice, vanilla fro-yo, and some vanilla almond milk. Mind you, I'm not CF, but I've been reading in so many boards and blogs about the tastiness of almond milk, I had to get it. Then for lunch, we busted open a box of Bell and Evans Chicken Tenderloins. The little guy had his cut up. My better half had his smothered in Franks Red Hot (dripping, really), and I tossed mine lightly in Red Hot, put it on two slices of toasted GFP's Favorite Sandwich Bread, and topped with a little GF Blue Cheese. I was crying at how good it tasted. No one was allowed to speak with me while I was enjoying my deliciousness.

That night, I made a cheesecake for Easter Dinner (which we had at my in-laws). Okay, I kinda made cheesecake. As most people know cheesecake is made with the gluteny goodness of graham crackers. So I improvised. I crushed three boxes of Pamela's cookies (Chunky Chocolate Chip and Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chunk) to make the crust along with Splenda Brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. I was so worried about the crust, I forgot the cheese part. So we ran to Stop and Shop, and got two containers of the new Philly Cheesecake filling. I dumped the containers in the gluten free shell and drove to the inlaws. The verdict: the crust rocked. The filling - way to sweet and the consistency was more of a mousse than cheesecake.

0 comments: