Sunday, March 23, 2008

Taco Soup

Ever since I went gluten free in January, my awesome husband has been along for the ride (and let's not forget my 2 yr old too!) One of our main sources in cooking gluten free has been the internet. We drool over blogs trying to figure out what to make. This is a first in a series of posts of awesome recipies that have brought joy into my home from my fellow bloggers.....Let's start with a recipe from one of my favorite gf bloggers, Stephanie over at A Year of Crockpotting . Her zest for crockpotting gluten free is AWESOME. Here is her recipe for Taco Soup (including my family's additions)....

  • 2 cans of kindey beans (which we subsituted cannelli beans for some odd reason - good, though)
  • 2 cans of pinto beans
  • 2 cans of corn
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomatoes and chiles
  • 1 packet taco seasoning (if you are gluten free, stick to McCormick)
  • 1 packet ranch dressing mix (make sure there isn't hidden gluten, I went with Hidden Valley)
  • 1 lb browned hamburgershredded cheese and sour cream for embelishment

The Directions:

  • put one of those crockpot liners in the crockpot. totally helps with the clean up.
  • brown meat
  • drain fat and add to crockpot stoneware insert (the meat. not the fat.)
  • sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat
  • drain and rinse the beans and add (This is where I noticed the kidney/cannelli bean mix up)
  • add the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans
  • cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5. I think the longer you cook soup, the better, so if you have the time, opt for cooking on low.
  • At some point during the cooking, the husband tasted the soup. He loved it, but wanted more "zing" (as he put it). So, he dumped some salsa & Frank's Red Hot in. This is completely optional.
  • serve with a handful of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

This ROCKED!!!!!!!!! All of us, including the babe, ate it up. Plus, I had leftovers! I ate like a queen at work that week. We are planning on making this for the inlaws (minus the sour cream - my FIL doesn't think sour cream should be legal)

0 comments: