Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sometimes it just doesn't turn out right.....

Last night, my parents came up for the day. The just got back from snowbirding in Florida and wanted to see the wee one. He had a blast all day with them - especially since they got him a tricycle! Hubby and I wanted to make it an easy, peasy dinner - so it was "quick" paella.

  • Goya Yellow Rice (Word to the GF - try a different brand or just plain rice - see below)
  • Chicken Sausage (We used two different types - Sweet Italian & Sundried Tomato)
  • GF Chicken Stock
  • Tomatoes
  • Scallions
  • Frozen Shrimp
  • Whatever frozen veggies I have on hand
  • Whatever fresh herbs on hand
  1. We cooked up the rice, sausage, and stock in a deep bottomed fry pan;
  2. Once the rice was cooked, stir it up and let it simmer (covered) for 15 - 20 minutes;
  3. While it's simmering, chop up the tomatoes, scallions, and herbs;
  4. Throw in the tomatoes, scallions, herbs, shrimp, and veggies.
  5. Once everything is cooked, serve.

Lo and behold, the paella was quite spicy - without any added spicy flavorings. My mom tried to eat it, but didn't work. I looked at the Goya box and looked at the ingredients. Lots of spice & some questionable "glutenous" ingredients. Did some research (love laptops) at the table, the rice is quite questionable in the GF world. I dumped my serving, my dad and husband ate up, and my mom just ate the sausage & shrimp. Thank god, I had made some Pamela's Brownies to save the day!

Next time....PLAIN RICE!!!!

0 comments: